Sunday 26 February 2012

NHB Game 5 vs Caz (Black Sun)

Old new now I guess but it's always nice to read a battle rep :D I had intended to video blog this one with pics and a voice over but I chucked out my old journal so I only have the pics to remind me what happened and my poor memory...so I figured text base was best unless you want to hear me going...erm...erm...not sure what happened there every 30 secs.

So on with it!

Every tourney I go to I always single out 1 player that I really really want to play against and weirdly I have drawn that player every time so far, Paul Brown at my first Tempest, Diesel at Maul, Pash at Slaughter and I really wanted to play Caz at NHB, I don't know why but he seemed a funny lad (in a good way) and it was good to see someone as abusive as me.

I felt bad actually that I couldn't give him a proper game with a proper army that involved more than 3 or 4 tactics, I only had my 99 shots army cus I had no money and wanted to get into Warhammer, so 100 archers for 40 quid on mantic was the fastest way to get an army so I apologise for that mate :P

I was up against his dark elves, a nicely painted army with a few nice conversions, an original looking Cauldron (a banebeasts model I think?) and an interesting list. Not sure exactly what he had but he had at least this:

30 Corsairs

20 Black Guard

20-25 Spearmen

5 Harpies

12 Shades (2x6)

Hydra

Mage on peg



A recap of my list is as follows:

Lvl 4 with life, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll

BSB with Banner of springtide - no bow

Noble with the hail of doom arrow -

21 Glade Guard + Banner and musician (BOEF magic item)
21 Glade Guard + musician
13 Glade Guard + Musician
13 Glade Guard + Musician
11 Glade Guard + Musician

9 Waywatchers
9 Waywatchers



Caz's Dark Elves

So we rolled for sides and setup, Caz took the defensive stance and was most definitely going to play for a draw...


He put some Shades in the building and they were quite pesky tbh. I Spread my army out on one half of the board and put some Waywatchers in the other half to combat his 5 Harpies and 6 Shades that he had in the far Quarter. He was obviously playing for the table quarters objective, for some reason he thought I was playing for banners, but I wasn't I was also going for table quarters.


The game basically consisted of me trying to dwellers his corsairs and him bunkering up in the corner, I kept changing my mind on what I was to shoot at which is stupid, Caz kept hitting me with lifetaker so I moved out of range of that and just kept peppering his units the best I could. Caz moved his peg mage into the Corsairs in the hope of using som magic missiles on my archers, however he cascaded his mage and things never looked good for him for the whole game.

Until that is... I cascaded my own mage trying to get dwellers off on his cauldron, a trick Kev Weaver had taught me (the cauldron fails characteristic tests) so even though I lost my general and more points than his cauldron, he wasn't going to get any rerolls if he failed a panic test.  I had also taken out his shades and his harpies on the far right so I was definitely getting the +500 points for that.

Cauldron shortly before being Dwellered and an entire Dark Elf army taking cover.


 I had managed to get a nice crescent shape going and there was nowhere for the Dark elves to go, the Waywatchers were picking off Black Guard from the side as the rest of my army focused the Hydra.



I put about 45 shots into killing that Harpy in the very corner due to its -4 to hit and I put about 60 shots into killing 6 Shades in the building early on, considering I had all this shooting I had so far killed a cauldron (with Dwellers) 2x6 Shades, 1 x 5 Harpies, Caz cascaded his mage on peg and he had killed more spearmen with Sacrificial dagger than I had with shooting...it was looking like a small win at best with my general being dead there was not a massive amount in it.


In the last turn however I picked off a couple more Black Guard but not enough, there were 7 left so I ran my Noble with Hail of Doom out of the unit and fired it at the Black Guard, I rolled 11 shots, I hit with 8 (needing 3's to hit) and I wounded 7 of them giving Caz 7 dice to roll 1 6 and save the unit, he failed, they all died and the Hydra ran off the board turning the game from a 12-8 to a 17-3 I think in the last action of the game.


Black Guard and Hydra die in the last turn.


After the Game Caz was his usual honourable self and said "i'm not shaking your hand cus your a cunt" he did however shake my hand and he felt there was nothing else he could have done in the game but wall up and try to get a few points. I however was more worried about him speeding the Hydra and corsairs at me...I think he might have done better with that tactic, as it worked for Kev Weaver and the Corsairs are even harder to kill from shooting than spearmen.

I did enjoy the game, there was plenty of banter, but like I said before, I can't wait to play with a more interesting army. I look forward to playing Caz again sometime, hopefully he will get his arse to a Tempest :D

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment