Wednesday 30 November 2011

NHB Game 3 vs Sandy Wilson

Game 3 I was drawn up against Sandy Wilson and his Ogre kingdoms army. I was fairly worried about facing an OK player and was dreading this game once I had seen the draw. When I saw his army however I wasn't as worried (no offense) as he had a shooty army :D and I was pretty confident nobody had more shooting than me.


Sandy had a unit of 4 Leadbelchers and a unit of 6 Leadbelchers along with a unit of 7 Ironguts  3 units of 10 Gnoblars, 3 sabretusks (OMG COMP CHAFF) and 2 Ironblasters. He had a lvl 4 with heavens and a lvl 1 with Maw. He rolled Comet, Chain Lightening (hate this) Thunderbolt and Blizzard, he took Bone Crusher on the lvl 1. I got Flesh to Stone, Throne of vines, Dwellers and earth blood.


Sandy's Army and a "gay"


Deployment


With the great big hill in the middle I took up firing position in the best channels possible and I hoped he would split his forces to move around the hill but if not the first unit over the hill was going to get 99 shots. Sandy deployed evenly with 2 of the overpowered sabretusks on my left flank (one is out of view) and with that I won the roll off to go first, shook his hand and off we went!

Jay Turn 1
So minimal movement from me, just some sideways movement to let my Waywatchers through from the rear. The magic phase granted me a whopping 2 dice and he channeled for +1 Dispel dice...I cast throne on 10 and Sandy rolls a double 6. I was hoping that wasn't the start of a great run of luck for him. In the shooting phase I pew pew lasered all my shots at the Iron blasters taking 3 wounds off each one.


Turn 1 End of Ogre Movement


Sandy Turn 1
Sandy surges forward with everything and uses "Rock Eye" to reveal a dispel scroll and a Talisman of Pres on my mage. The magic phase brings Sandy a nice 10 dice and I channel one getting 7. Comet is first on 4 dice and I dispel that one, he then Casts chain lightning and he only goes and gets it off, I hate this spell, it rips my army apart...so I was dreading this, he targets the nearest unit first and does 3 wounds, then it doesnt carry on...not so bad, then he cascades his lvl 1 mage using bonecrusher and the mage is wounded and does 6 wounds on the Ironguts...I hear the grange hill music in my head but offer him my sympathies, cascades can be such a game ruiner.

Jay Turn 2
So not doing too badly so far, I position my guys to attack the wounded butcher unit. The magic phase brings a poor 4 dice and Sandy gets 2. I get throne of Vines and Flesh to stone off on my lords unit. In the shooting phase I fire the hail of doom and 13 Archers at the butcher's unit and I roll a whopping 16 on the hail of doom and do 8 wounds to the Leadbelchers and 3 wounds to the butcher! They flee but the archers finish them off as they run like fat bottomed girls, this causes some gnoblars to pnic and flee nearby. A unit of Waywatchers killing blow a Sabertusk and a whopping 44 Archers are needed to take off 2 wounds on one of the Iron Blasters.


Bye Bye Butcher!


Sandy Turn 2
Sandy rallies his fearsome Gnoblars! But he doesn't move forward as he plans to magic me and shoot me up this phase ( I think he should have kept surging forward). Unfortunately for him his run of bad luck continues as he miscasts comet, cascades his lvl 4 who is removed from play and kills 2 Ironguts on his way out. The Leadbelchers kill 5 Glade Guard.




The Ogres are thinning out already! (The ironguts are in the position of the 2 green dice on the Hill/Temple)

Jay Turn 3
I position my 21 Glade Guard in teh middle near to his Gnoblar unit and his Ironguts. I move the Waywatchers up to shoot the Gnoblars which should make it clear for the 21 Glade Guard to shoot the Ironguts  (but also recieve a charge next turn if I didn't kill them) The magic phase see me cast Throne of vines and the comet that was cast last turn goes off killing 4 Glade Guard. In the shooting phase I kill 2 Ironguts, 2 Leadbelchers and 7 Gnoblars who decide to flee.


Sandy Turn 3
Sandy takes a chance and opts not to charge with the Leadbelchers into the 21 Gladue Guard but go round behind them. His Ironguts are in a great position to charge here and only need to roll a 6...the Gnoblars charge my 11 Glade Guard on the left and some more Gnoblars charge my Waywatchers flank, the Iron Blaster also charges some Waywatchers on the right hand side. The Iron blaster gets in and decimates the waywatchers and overuns off the board for safety, the Gnoblars get in on the Nobles unit of 11 Glade Guard and they kill the Noble!!! 2 hits (needing 5s) and 2 wounds!! The Waywatchers with Gnoblars in their flank win the combat and the Gnoblars flee. The poor Ironguts dont make it and lose 3 wounds to stand and shoot. The Leadbelchers fail to kill anything with shooting.

Jay Turn 4
I move my 21 Glade Guard out of the charge arc of the Leadbelchers and right in the face of the Ironguts. Magic is useless and I just get Throne off as Sandy dispells Flesh to Stone. I kill only 2 more Ironguts due to wound allocation and take a wound off a Leadbelcher in the shooting phase.

Sandy Turn 4
Gnoblars charge my 13 Glade guard on the right hand flank and the Ironguts charge my unit of 21 Glade guard to which I announce I have the Banner Of Springtide and can always stand and shoot finishing off the unit. The iron blaster returns. He dispels Throne in the magic phase and amazingly the 10 Gnoblars kill and run down the unit of 13 Glade Guard.

End of Turn 4/start of Turn 5 as I point all my bows at the Leadbelchers!


Jay Turn 5
I position everything to shoot at the Leadbelchers except for a unit of Waywatchers that I want to finish the gnoblars off with. Magic Phase is pointless so onto the Shooting Phase where I kill 5 Gnoblars with my Waywatchers which makes them flee, the other Gnoblars are below 25% now so I ignore them as the keep fleeing, then my entier army kill the Leadbelchers, leaving only a unit of 9 Gnoblars and the Ironblaster (and some fleeign Gnoblars)

Sandy Turn 5
The Gnoblars charge the rear of my Lords unit, suffice to say I win the combat, persue them and run them down then I end up in a perfect position to move up onto the hill for my last turn and shoot the Iron blaster killing it to wipe everything off the board in turn 6.




I got my scenario special mission which was to get more special and rare of his than he did of mine, Sandy didn't get his but I can't remember what it was, might have been capture standards. In the end I won 2600pts to 600pts for a 20-0 to me, I really enjoyed playing Sandy, he was a nice guy, I think his overall finish for the weekend is lower than his usual sort of finishes (according to HQ) so I think his list must have had bad match ups or Leadbelchers are actually not that good afterall. On the whole I played it fairly well, better than I did in the first game and I had found my feet by now.


I was pretty narked off when I saw the draw for round 4...Rob Ings filthy Skaven who I got tabled by in a practise game a week before...meh....MEH! The battle continues....

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think that's a fair description of the game!

    I actually quite enjoyed this game despite going down fairly easily, you stuck to your plan well and I made some mistakes. Thanks for the compliments, you are quite right about the poor match ups but I can't really complain as it's probably more down to lack of practice.

    I hope I get to play you again, preferably with a list that I have practiced with!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete