Saturday 5 November 2011

Og games practice day.

I went round to @wfbpaulbrowns house this weekend (Saturday) for a few games of Warhamer with @apostlegillus, @twogameradio, @crouchingotter and @Aeth_1904. It was an enjoyable day, Paul was the hostess with the shizzle and put on a nice spread of food along with unlimited cups of tea. Thanks Paul. Otter kindly picked me up from my house with my board and my army. I had 4 games in total with my NHB (no holes barred) army list against Gill twice, Otter once and Paul once.

I'll start with my two games against Gill. He took a unit of 54 Tomb Kings skeletons with bows, 3 necrosphinx (the ones with crew on the top :/) two units of 3 chariots because he has gone completely chariot mad at the moment and is constantly looking to find ways of fitting chariots in everywhere (BEASTMEN!!!) and 2 catapults. He had 2 lvl 4 mages, one with TK lore and one with shadows.

The first game saw Gill setting his unit up in the corner to protect his catapults. Gill got the first turn and moved his Spinxes forward, he then cascaded his TK general and lost 14 archers...LOL a common problem for GIll nowadays (3 cascades in a row on the first turn) as much as I find this hilarious it doesn't make for a very good game of warhammer. Anyway he proceded to try and get his sphinxes into combat throughout the game however I managed to kill all his chariots in turn 1, then the all but one of the sphinxes were gone in turn 3. Turn 3 saw me Dwellers his unit of skeletons and he lost another 27 archers...pretty much game at this stage but its worth mentioning that Gill managed to take out 750pts of my army with 1 sphinx...PRO I dont know how to work the scores out but I think it was a 20-0 to me or near to that.

The rematch against Gill was a lot better with Gill deploying in a more sensible fashion fairly symmetrical, the game went the same way as the first one in the end with a powerful dwellers takign out half the skeletons and the archers finishing them off. I killed one sphinx in turn 2 with 13 archers inflicint 5 wounds and GIll making no saves of 5+ then importantly when Gill had 18 archers left he charged a 1 wound spinxh into the flank of my 22 Glade Guard, I struck first...2 hits...1 wound... no save. Unlucky for Gill that one as if he had one that combat then he may well have won the game. WAY more fun than game 1. A good win for me in that game but I don't really know how to score it but it felt like a good win and Gill had nothing left at the end, I had around 900 remaining.

My third game was against none other than John Otter (who is actually called that no matter what anyone says...otterman and jotter are also acceptable) with his Lizardmen. nothing special really happened in this game, except in turn 2 the slaan miscast and cascaded YAY!!!!! however he used cupped hand bollocks to pass it onto my wizard and kill him! holy FRAK! I thought it was over then but luckily for me I shot that son of a bitch off the board as he marched towards me, failing 2 charges with his scar vets and the were left in the open out of their unit and the Waywatchers killing blowed them. I did enjoy the game and I was surprised how easily I can deal with toughness 4 units late on in the game. I put 70 shots into his slaan unit in turn 4 and that was enough to see them left with only the ethereal slaan. 20-0

My final game was against none other than the host of the day, Paul Brown and his pesky high elves, deployed with a line of spearmen sheilding 27 White lions, sheilding 40? or so spearmen, 2 chariots and 2 eagles. Paul basically ran at me, magic missilign my smaller units throughout the game, I didnt manage to get Dwellers off for the whole game and my shooting was well below average untill the High Elves hit close range. Once in close range my entire army shot like mad at the 3+ pelts of the white lions and they held up for a lot of stick....even the hail of doom arrow, they had around 10 lions left when they failed a cahrge when needing an 8, Paul seemed to think this was unlucky but he has the luck of the gods 24/7 and one dice roll against his favour when the averages said he wouldnt get it was perfect for me and the archers finished them off, in fact he's so lucky I asked him to roll a double 6 on 2 dice once and he got two 7's he was double sixing this and double sixing that, he makes my brain implode with envy, would love to see him play Diesel Power! My archers then made a start on the spearmen who did make it into combat with my bsb unit routing it and over running off the board, I re-aligned my entire army on the board (about 50 Glade guard left) to wait for their return, when they came back on they finished off all the spearmen and the 2 mages, the Waywatchers then sorted out the 2+ rerollable bsb with their killing blow bolts.

I was really happy to play Paul and win, as Rob said it took him a long time to get his first win against Paul and I saw that as a challenge. I still hate High Elves more than anything I hate them so much, I don't know why but they do my head in! I haven't played brets yet but im sure they will rage face my archers. I think Gill is unlucky, he seems to make Loads of saves in one game then throw it all away with a cascade then in another game he makes no saves but keeps his mage...he does like to test the boundries of the game though and i LOVE that, I want to try out his Mountain Chimera Rage Moster army soooo bad.

On the whole a really great day, really enjoyed it, LOVE the people I get to play warhammer against I am so happy I got back into it, I really need to get a game against Rob too. Would have been nice to run a podcast but hey ho...

I will leave you with this thought...warhammer...grimgor...curse of the midnight wind!
xxx
Hey i've just watched 2 episodes of BSG writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment